Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 7 - A picture of your most treasured item.


This question is A LOT harder than it looks!

I am a very sentimental person, so I think my best definition of "treasure" would be something of the highest intrinsic value... as opposed to monetary value. Of course, there could conceivably be something that fit both definitions, but I don't own my Great-Grandmother's favorite rocking chair or anything like that. :D

Yes, I think I treasure memories the most. Memories attached to objects and those stored away in my brain, more attached to a person than a thing. Pictures fall under this category and I do treasure pictures of people I love. There is nothing better on a lazy afternoon, than thumbing through an old photo album and regaling whomever will listen about the people on its pages.

I can't possibly share ALL of those kinds of memories, nor would you want to sit here that long. :) And so, I will open up my Rubbermaid Hope Chest and share a thing or two with you.



The oldest treasure belonging to me in my Hope Chest is all found in a brown paper bag with my name on it. I remember making this bag with my Mom. When it was time to give up my blankie, we put it in a very special place. I think I have already told this story before. There used to be a binkie with almost no nipple in there, to represent how long I held onto my binkie and the measures my parents had to resort to to get me to stop. I remember combing my fingers through the yarn fringe at the edge of the yellow and white afghan. I liked it to stroke the webs between my fingers.



I can't remember what this fabric is called. My Mom worked at a sewing factory when she was expecting me and she would bring home the scraps and make toys for me out of them. It has a sort of mesh in between layers of spongy fabric that is fuzzy. I remember laying my finger across the fuzz and moving the hairs back and forth. Not stroking it. It's incredibly hard to describe when you can't see my hand movements to explain what I mean! :) Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, my Mom made the small brown bear and I think my Grandma H made the blue bear out of the same type of fabric. My Mom could have made both... hopefully she'll straighten me out in the comments. :) I love how the blue bear's nose is worn away by a thousand kisses! He never had a name... he should have had a name.

This is my blessing dress. It is white tricot with yellow lace. It has a little slip that goes under it. The story goes that I gave my very first smile to my Dad while I was wearing this dress on my blessing day. :) I just love the tradition of blessing dresses. Making a beautiful dress for a treasured daughter to wear. A father giving his baby girl a wonderful blessing to give her the very best start for her life. Remind me sometime to tell you about my childrens' blessing days. :)

The last picture came out blurry, so you'll have to take my word for it. My baby hair brush and comb are so cute! I love that they brushed my downy little hair. None of my kids has had as dark of hair as I had. It's unique to me in my now-family. I shared it with my sister in my then-family. :)

These are treasures that remind me how much I have been loved ALL MY LIFE. There has always been someone to wrap me in a blankie. To stroke my hair. To play and have fun with. I am a very, very lucky girl!


3 comments:

Laura Orton said...

I love that you are doing this! I'd really like to do it someday, but I am enjoying what you say pretty close to as much as I would enjoy doing it myself. So thanks and keep going! I'm totally relating and strolling along with you along memory lane. Thanks!

Liz Jaquier said...

I love the comments you make, I can't compete with your creativity! And I love that you have these things for memories. That's one thing I miss...I have a baby blanket from when I was a baby and a baby book, but that's it, nothing else. I love looking through your eyes and seeing your thoughts and feelings on your treasures! Thanks for sharing! :)

Geoffrey said...

I love you AND your stuff!