Friday, August 13, 2010

Nifty 50s Style

Remember the 50s? The 1950s? During WWII, women's style skimped on everything because everything was going to the war effort. Skirts were pencil thin with no extra fullness and little detail. Then came the 50s! After scrimping for so long, skirts got really, really full. Often full circles in fact. Fun details. Bright fabrics. I love it! Love it! Love it!

Donna Reed, June Cleaver, Mrs. Cunningham... they knew where it was at. They were always there for their kids, teaching them what was right. Always cooking and baking and looking fabulous doing it! Now, I fully realize that my perception of this era truly does come primarily from these TV shows. I did not actually live during the 1950s. In fact, even my parents were babies during this era. But right now, I am really digging that full skirted, pearls and an apron style. :) Where's the rule book that says that just because I'm a Mom with young kids, I MUST wear jeans and a t-shirt every day?

Donna Reed
(Don't you just LOVE this picture? I'm going to start doing this every time I serve my family dinner... "TaaDaa!")


Barbara Billingsley

Marion Ross

My next experiment in fashion will be to make myself a "50s Housewife dress." Stay tuned!



4 comments:

Jen said...

I love this dress. I must admit, I'm a shorts and tshirt mom. :)

jessica poole robins said...

can't wait to see your dress! right now i only have 1 pair of shorts that fit, so dresses and skirts are my best friend this summer.

K said...

You absolutely are so awesome. I LOVE that first picture you posted. And I can see you going, "TaaDaa!" serving dinner.
Maybe I'll wear pearls tomorrow...

Bugg's mama said...

Love it! I'm a skirt-gal myself. The air-flow is fantastic, especially during these hot summer months!